What we do to support you
All of us deal with the uncertainties of life in our own individual ways – but there are times when some of us feel very much alone when having to face and overcome particular problems.
However, whatever concerns you may be presently dealing with, you don’t need to feel alone. Over the years we have sensitively and successfully helped many people overcome numerous difficulties.
We always adapt a course of therapy to individual needs.
Our experience covers a broad range of concerns, including:
Alcohol, computer games, drugs, eating problems, gambling, pornography, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), spending
• We are experienced in helping people overcome drink, drug, gambling or other addictions such as shopping, computer games or pornography.
(See below for information relating specifically about Gambling).
Loneliness, panic attacks, phobias, eating disorders, worry, depression, lethargy
• Anxiety can come in many forms: from panic attacks to social anxiety, from the fear of what the future might hold, or from specific phobias related to situations or objects. But whatever its form, anxiety can be a crippling experience.
• Fear may at times be rather undefined and include general feelings of futility and loneliness.
• Past and the future are at times ‘over-focussed’, but with our help you will be able to experience and appreciate the present.
Insomnia, oversleeping, lack of energy or motivation, guilt, worthlessness, suicidal thoughts, self-hate, self-harm, withdrawal from friends, family and pastimes, numbness
• Feeling sad or miserable on a regular or long-term basis may be a sign you are depressed
• Contact us for help to begin your path to recovery.
Bereavement, still-birth, miscarriage, abortion, redundancy, job loss
• Loss is something that happens to most of us at some point in our lives. However, the process of coming to terms with it doesn’t always run smoothly, and if you’re presently unable to ‘move on’ we can help you find your way through this difficult time – and show you ways to resolve the problem.
Lacking in confidence, or suffering from chronic illness, lethargy, self-harm, anger, jealousy, unhappy relationships, problems at work, depression, suicidal thoughts
• If you are presently suffering stress you will know just how intensely disabling it can be.
• We will give you some practical tips on how to manage better in the short term, and show you how to find a permanent way out of the pernicious loop.
• Re-discovering the ability to express your true self may be part of the solution for you.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), accidents, physical, sexual or emotional abuse (past or present)
• Resolving the aftermath of a trauma can often be an arduous journey. We recognise that it can take time to fully integrate the experience
• We know how important it is to provide a safe place to talk about your experience. We will work with you to enhance your own resources to reduce the pressure you might be feeling.
Unhappy relationships with family or friends, problems finding a partner, failed relationships, problems at work, problems with sexuality or loneliness
• All of us have experienced relationship difficulties at some time in our lives. It is part of the human condition. And of course this can be at work, with friends or family. We will support you in making the changes you want in your relationships.
The Cumbria Counselling Group are approved GamCare partners who provide counselling for anyone who is experiencing difficulties resulting from a gambling problem including partners and family members.
This service is free of charge.
It’s also 100% confidential and abides by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy’s ‘Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy’ (see www.bacp.co.uk).
Speaking to a trained counsellor in a safe environment over a period of time will enable you to discuss situations in your past and present life that may be relevant to your gambling problem. We will help you explore and consider your life and relationships, and find the best method to deal with the effects that gambling is having on your life.
The main aims of our counselling are to help:
• stop or reduce the frequency of problem gambling
• develop ways of coping with problem gambling behaviour
• understand some of the underlying reasons why gambling has become a problem
• address related issues that are causing harm or damage
• develop a productive and healthy life without problem gambling
For more information about our counselling services call us on 01946 820230, or email us at email@example.com.
If you leave a message we aim to get back to you within 8 hours.
However, if you need immediate support contact GamCare directly on their Helpline 0808 8020 133, or at their NetLine www.gamcare.org.uk.
GamCare services operate from 8am until midnight, 7 days a week.
Types of Therapy Issues
We provide therapy for a range of current and past issues:
Anxiety: loneliness, panic attacks, eating disorders, worry, depression, lethargy
Depression: insomnia, oversleeping, lack of energy or motivation, guilt, worthlessness, suicidal thoughts, self-hate, withdrawal from friends, family and pastimes.
Loss: bereavement, stillbirth, miscarriage, abortion, redundancy, job loss.
Stress: lack of confidence, chronic illness, lethargy, self-harm, anger, jealousy, unhappy relationships, problems at work, depression, suicidal urges.
Trauma: accidents, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). physical, sexual and emotional abuse - past and present.
Addictions/Obsessions: alcohol, computer games, drugs, eating problems, gambling, pornography, spending, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Stress - Anxiety - Depression – Low self-esteem – Addictions – Gambling problems – Grief & Loss – Relationships –– Food issues – Bereavement – Panic attacks – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) – Post- Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) – Mental illness – Suicidal urges – Problems at Work – Phobias – Anger management – Lack of confidence – Suffering from abuse
"After 9 years of trying to stop myself from gambling with no professional help I finally took the step of contacting GamCare and arranged the first of 8 one-on-one meetings. This was truly the turning point in my long battle with gambling, Just being able to talk to someone outside my own situation who would not judge me for anything I had done was such a relief.
With their great ideas and advice on how to deal with everything, TCCG made me realise I DID NOT NEED gambling in my life.
Horses had been my source of gambling every single day of my life for the last nine years, but it has now been FOUR MONTHS SINCE I LAST looked at horse racing - let alone lost money betting on them - and I can't thank my TCCG advisor and GamCare enough for the difference they have made to my life."
My Son’s Gambling Addiction
“I was introduced to Gamcare when my son's gambling came to a head. Without Sean I do not know how I would have coped. Being able to talk openly to someone has helped me deal with the very serious situation my son brought upon me with his gambling addiction.
It is very comforting that if you feel anxious about the situation, you can pick up the phone. I am very grateful for all the help I have been given, and if in the future I need any help I would not hesitate in contacting TCCG through Gamcare”.
How Gamcare Has Helped Me
“After losing tens of thousands of pounds through gambling and credit card interest, my double-life came to an abrupt end. I had nowhere else to turn and made the decision to tell my wife the full horrible truth of the financial mess I had created.
My wife insisted I seek help and I reluctantly contacted GamCare in late 2010 to set up a meeting with Sean Turner. With Sean I felt at ease and was able to discuss the finer details of my gambling addiction. Consequently, as the weeks went by, my self-confidence grew and I felt I was getting back to the ‘old me’ - the person I really am.
My counselling with Sean and GamCare has brought me to a position where my finances now back under control, and a modicum of trust has developed between my wife and me. It is not something I could have done by myself. The advice, help and understanding has been invaluable and will help me through the rest of my life.
Thank you Sean. Thank you the CCG, and thank you GamCare. I am now in a happy position.
24-Hour Message Service
T: 01946 820230